This is a delicious and moist malt loaf. A visitor to the site asked me for a recipe for Malt Bread. This is an easy to make recipe, and I decided to add it to the submitted recipes.
Hope you enjoy it!
8 tbsp malt extract
3fl.oz/75ml hot strong tea
6oz/175g wholemeal self-raising flour
good pinch ground mixed spice
1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1.
- Butter a 2lb loaf tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the malt extract with the hot tea and leave to cool.
- Mix the flour with the mixed spice in a bowl along with the fruit, egg and malty tea.
- Combine well before spooning into the lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 1¼-1½ hours.
- Pierce with a knife or skewer and once it can be removed clean, then the loaf is ready.
- Leave to stand for ten minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Once cold, wrap in greaseproof paper and keep for a minimum 2-3 days in an airtight container.