Meringues are not as hard to make as some people think. This is a tried and tested recipe, and of course delicious with fresh whipped cream.
4 egg whites
225g/8oz castor sugar
1) Whisk the egg whites until the bowl can be held upside down.
2) Add one third of the sugar and continue to beat.
3) Carefully fold in the rest of the sugar with a metal spoon.
4) Cover 2 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
5) Using 2 large spoons, place meringue mounds (oval shaped)on the trays.
6) Dust with a little caster sugar and place in a cool oven 150C/300F/Gas mark 2) for 5 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 110C/225F/as mark -1) for 2 hours.
7) Test if they are done by peeling one off the paper. If it comes off whole, the meringues are ready.
8) Cool completely.
9) Take two halves together with whipped cream.
If you want to reduce the calories - enjoy the meringues WITHOUT the cream and serve with fresh fruit salad.