Tipsy Cake Recipe
by Kirsty McDermot
This Tipsy Cake Recipe does have a little alcohol in it - but is vry different to the Tipsy Laird (trifle) that is so popular in Scotland. I know there are a number of different recipes for this, but I hope you enjoy this one.
10ml fluid oz sherry
8 broken up trifle sponges (divided into 4 amounts)
2 oz caster sugar
4 tablespoons plum jam
4 tablespoons sieved apricot jam
4 tablespoons raspberry jam
3 egg whites
2 oz flaked almonds
300ml single cream
Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Warm the sherry or Madeira and stir in tbs sugar and lemon juice.
2. Place a quarter of the trifle sponges in an ovenproof dish and pour some of the sherry mixture over them ensuring the liquid soaks the sponge pieces.
3. Spread the plum jam over it.
4. Put the another quarter sponge pieces on top.
5. Pour over some more of the sherry mixture.
6. Spread the sieved apricot jam over it.
7. Add another quart of the sponge pieces
8. Por over some more sherry and spread the raspberry jam on top.
9. Add the remaining trifle sponge pieces on top.
10. Pour over the remaining sherry mixture.
11. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff
12. Beat in the remaining sugar into the egg whites until the mixture is thick.
13. Spread this over the cake
14. Using a knife - lift into small peaks. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
15. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes until the meringue top has set.
16. Serve with single cream.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Recipe Invitation.