Underneath Mens Kilts
This $50 million question, "What is worn underneath mens kilts?" is asked by virtually everyone who is not Scottish. From the English to Americans, from Germans to South Americans, from everywhere around the world, the Scottish Kilts
and what men wear under it fascinates people.
In fact you may have heard the old joke, with a 'play' on words:-
An American tourist asked a Scotsman in a Kilt, "Excuse me sir, but could you tell me what's worn underneath mens kilts?"
"Nothing madam," the Scotsman answered, "it's all in perfect working order!"
You'll see Scotsmen in national dress at a number of functions, and always at Highland Games. If you've never been to one, then do make that part of your itinerary when you're planning your Scottish vacation. It is quite a thrill to hear the pipes and drums in the Music Events, while watching the grace of the dancers in the Dancing Categories, and seeing the Weights and Athletic Events is awesome, and in particular Tossing the Caber or 'poles tossed by Scots' as visitors often describe it.
You'll also find people wearing other tartan clothes such as skirts, hats etc. By the way if you're not sure what the difference is between tartan and plaid, click HERE.
However, back to the question, "What is worn underneath mens kilts?". If you have ever watched the Braveheart
movie with Mel Gibson playing the part of William Wallace, and he and his Scottish army fighting the English, you will have a fair idea of the traditional custom that no undergarments are worn underneath the kilt!
My understanding is that it is military regulation for soldiers in Highland regiments to follow this tradition, although I do believe there are exceptions.
It is generally accepted that for any man who has to lift his leg above the knee, it would be acceptable to wear an undergarment. For instance - men participating in Highland Dancing, and the athletes taking part in Highland Games, and indeed Band Leaders who take really high steps would probably wear undergarments.
For everyone else, what is worn underneath mens kilts is a personal choice for each person.
However, please note - it is NOT mandatory to wear your own family tartan/plaid undergarments!!!
If you have enjoyed reading 'underneath mens kilts', please see also the following:-
Kilts and Flashes
- A brief look at the history of the kilt.
Tartan Clothes from Scotland
- A summary of some of the tartan clothes that come from Scotland.
- Look at some of the categories of Highland Games event.
- Highland Games Categories always include a variety of athletic or sporting competition.
- Learn more about the Dancing competitions, always a joy to see, and again featured in every Highland Games.
- Learn a wee bit more about the different Music Events which are a common feature in all Highland Games.
Tossing The Caber
- Look at this wonderful athletic event. If you don't know what it is, you might refer to it as 'poles tossed by Scots'.
Highland Games in Fife
- for this year's venues for the games in the Kingdom.
Return from Underneath Mens Kilts to Scottish Plaid Information
Click the crown button to go back to the top of this page
Underneath Mens Kilts