Edinburgh Rock is a well-loved and traditional Scottish sweet (candy), but it really isn't too hard to make.
1 lb sugar
Quarter pt water
Quarter tsp cream of tartar
Yellow and Green food colouring
Peppermint and lemon essence
- Heat the water in a heavy pot.
- Dissolve all the sugar gently.
- Bring the mixture almost to the boil
- Add in the cream of tartar.
- Boil until the mixture has reached 250F (or until a teaspoon of the mixture can form a hard ball when it is dropped into a cup of cold water).
- Divine the mixture into 2 heatproof bowls.
- In one bowl add the green colouring and peppermint essence.
- In the other bowl, add the yellow colouring and lemon essence.
- Mix both bowls well.
- Take 2 greased baking trays and put the separate mixtures into the 2 trays.
- As the mixtures start to cool, turn the edges towards the centre using a greased knife.
- When the mixtures are cool enough, roll into a sausage shape about half an inch in diameter.,
- Cut into shorter pieces.
- Put all the picesd on non-stick baking paper.
- Leave for 24 hours.
Hope you enjoy it.